Monday, March 22, 2010

So I bought this book...right? POPOVERS!

And it's going to help me bring you WAY cool stuff to do to save as much as possible from your daily cooking scraps and your small veggie gardens and just basically cool stuff about living off the land around you. I'll pick a few things to do over the next few days and get back to you on  how each thing worked and if I am going to implement it in my own life or if I will leave it out there for some of you to experiment with and get back to me on your own findings!

Making tea from the silk and husks of tea, creating "nut huts" or tree incubators, and just being able to save every bit of leftover to upcycle into something terribly delicious and nutritious. Don't throw those veggie peels out just yet ladies and gents! As a matter of fact, never do it again! Throw them straight down into your compost heap, or directly into your nearest pile of backyard dirt to start one. If they aren't old, eat them in some to be announced fabulous leftover recipes!

POPOVERS:

 Found this amazing recipe in Circle Round that they call Persephone Rising Spring Equinox Popovers. I'm just calling them delicious! You can also vary the post production to include cheese, honey, fruit or butter as a serving suggestion.

You will need:
3 eggs well beaten
1 C milk
2 T melted butter
1 t sugar
1 t salt
1 C flour

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, though I found 400 to suffice for my own oven. Mix together all ingredients except flour. Then add the flour and whisk to avoid lumps. Butter up a muffin tin REALLY well as these WILL stick. You can also use individual custard cups according to the book, they say you'll need 8. Fill the tins or cups 1/3 full. Bake for 15 (or 16) minutes, then turn the oven DOWN to 350 degrees and bake for another 10-15 minutes for a muffin pan or 15-20 for those custard cups. They should be golden brown and firm. As SOON as you take them out of the over poke the tops with a knife to let the steam out so they stop cooking themselves dry and run the knife around the edges so you can pull them out and serve them immediately. These didn't even make it out of my kitchen. YUM YUM!

I hope you enjoy them with a little butter and honey or fruit and cottage cheese, both very nom worthy! Blessed Spring everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I believe that spring left us today... it's so cold!

    ReplyDelete